The fate of Australia's largest agricultural field day sits in limbo as New South Wales' latest coronvirus outbreak intensifies.
The lockdown in NSW has been extended until Friday, July 16, and the state recorded 38 new community cases on Thursday, its highest daily figure in more than 14 months.
AgQuip is slated to take place in Gunnedah from August 17 to 19 but organisers have had to submit revised plans in accordance with the latest restrictions.
ACM Rural Events group manager Kate Nugent said they had been working very closely with NSW Health and the police while planning the event.
Ms Nugent said NSW field days were given an exemption in guidelines issued late last year but revised decisions on whether outdoor events would continue rested in the hands of NSW Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant.
"NSW Health is making an assessment and we, outdoor events, have a requirement which has only just come into play with these lockdowns and restrictions to seek an update of exclusion exemption," Ms Nugent said.
"We have only just now been asked to put in our COVID-Safe plans, and an update of our plans working with the four square metre rules, and that can only be approved by the Chief Health Officer."
- Read more: TMA conference to go ahead in Melbourne
- Read more: Two new 60 horsepower TYM tractors released
- Read more: Biden to issue executive order on right to repair
Ms Nugent said the AgQuip site could support current requirements and while they understood the focus on keeping regional communities safe, another cancellation would have an impact on the agricultural and machinery sectors.
"We appreciate it will have significant economic ramifications if AgQuip has to be cancelled for a second time," she said.
NSW Health has been contacted for comment.
The story AgQuip's fate in the hands of NSW Chief Health Officer first appeared on Farm Online.