Following the listeria outbreak, melon growers are being asked to adopt new, heightened food safety requirements.
Editor, Good Fruit & Vegetables
For more than a decade, Ashley Walmsley has written about Australian agriculture. Having grown up on his parents smallcrops, cane and cattle property in Queensland, but clearly unable to grow anything himself, it was a natural progression for him to pursue a career writing about rural industries. He is currently the editor of Fairfax Media’s only national, fresh produce magazine, Good Fruit & Vegetables, while also covering horticulture stories for the agricultural papers and websites. When not writing about vegetables, fruits and nuts, Ashley enjoys playing and discussing video games from a simpler time, and doing impersonations of ABC radio presenters.
The melon industry has taken a hit after recent listeria outbreaks but the industry body is determined to win consumers back.
ABARES suggests greater collaboration in the Aussie pineapple value chain could reduce costs to help counter imported processed product.
Australian horticulture prides itself on sustainable and healthy produce for export. It's not gone unnoticed by competitor nations.
The Australian blueberry industry boasts an impressive track record, doubling production in the past five years.
There are plenty of avocado trees being planted in Australia, which is something the industry should bear in mind, according to ABARES.
If Australian horticulture was a rocket, then nuts and fruit would be the main thrusters, sending the vessel higher, according to ABARES.
Citrus Australia has brought Gayndah growers up to speed on what they need to know for the coming season.
Having been around for only two and a bit years, Horticultue Innovation Australia says it's too soon for a return on investment figure.
- A woman has died and four others are injured due to the crash.
- Greg and Liz Cover's quality Meandarra property Erinvale will be auctioned by Elders on May 11.
- Thousands of people took to the streets of Winton following the much-anticipated opening of the new $23 million Waltzing Matilda Centre.
- The Federal Reserve's economic outlook predicts a rise in US GDP and a fall in unemployment levels as a result of the tax cuts.
- Emerald irrigators are set to negotiate with the State Government over irrigation channels.
- A new mapping tool has been released for Australia’s avocado, mango and macadamia growers.
- See why this win means so much to the Glenlands team.
- Pop-up polo is coming to Rockhampton - and tickets are on sale now.
- Logan River prawn farmers face an uncertain future, not knowing when they can restock ponds or what regulations they will have to operate under.
- Chinese timber pricing policies have spelt good news for Tambo as a new lessee reopens the sawmill in search of certainty.
Search over 20,000 rural real estate listings online including farms, rural property and acreage for sale.
Connecting Livestock Buyers & Sellers: Your one-stop shop for livestock news, reports and sale listings.