The historic Border Bridge, built in 1914, is a landmark of Goondiwindi.
The first bridge was wooden and was constructed between 1879 and 1880, and survived the 1890 flood. Before the first bridge, goods had to cross on a punt pulled by rope.
The wooden bridge was replaced in 1914 by the present steel bridge and was the main crossing point between NSW and Queensland until the new bridge on the eastern side of town was opened in 1992.
The construction spans the Macintyre River and was the area where duties were collected by Customs during freight crossings across the border from NSW to Queensland.