Australian sheep farmers are cashing in on historic meat and wool prices, as average farm income for the sector hits a 20-year high of $170,000 this financial year.
National Sheep & Wool Writer
Annabelle Cleeland is Fairfax Media’s national sheep and wool writer. Annabelle joined the Fairfax team in 2012 to nurture her love of Australian agriculture. She began as the Victorian western district reporter at Stock & Land before taking on a senior position as a journalist reporting on all industries statewide. Annabelle’s appetite to report on issues which affect the sheep and wool industry has seen her travel to many parts of Australia and abroad. She is excited to spin industry yarns during a period of substantial demand for the sheepmeat and wool industries. Annabelle enjoys horse riding and climbing mountains, and is a lazy supporter of the Geelong Football Club.
Woolgrowers and taxpayers financed nearly $75,000 for a six-week study trip for Australian Wool Innovation (AWI) chief executive Stuart McCullough in the United States, it has been revealed.
There are still no answers as to how to rebuild trust in Australian Wool Innovation's board election process.
It is said that if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys, but how many peanuts are levy and tax payers contributing to the executive and board members of our research organisations?
More than $3.1 billion worth of Australian wool has been sold at auction this year, closing on a record breaking run of high prices.
Major Chinese wool processors are tipped to sidestep export buyers and enter the auction room in 2018, as demand is expected to outstrip growth in supply.
- Jason Strong has been appointed chief executive officer of Smithfield Cattle Company.
- The longest grain train in the history of the ARTC network was loaded at Crystal Brook this week, the wheat bound for the drought stricken north.
- Forecast rain could give Qld farmers a last chance for winter crops.
- Principals at Illawarra schools have welcomed moves to get them back educating at the expense of associated bureaucratic and administrative tasks.
- Education and cultural change, not over-regulation, are the keys to improving farm safety says a Nuffield Scholar who studied the topic.
Search over 20,000 rural real estate listings online including farms, rural property and acreage for sale.
Connecting Livestock Buyers & Sellers: Your one-stop shop for livestock news, reports and sale listings.