Australian sheep farmers are cashing in on historic meat and wool prices, as average farm income for the sector hits a 20-year high of $170,000 this financial year.
National Sheep & Wool Writer
Annabelle Cleeland is Fairfax Media’s national sheep and wool writer. Annabelle joined the Fairfax team in 2012 to nurture her love of Australian agriculture. She began as the Victorian western district reporter at Stock & Land before taking on a senior position as a journalist reporting on all industries statewide. Annabelle’s appetite to report on issues which affect the sheep and wool industry has seen her travel to many parts of Australia and abroad. She is excited to spin industry yarns during a period of substantial demand for the sheepmeat and wool industries. Annabelle enjoys horse riding and climbing mountains, and is a lazy supporter of the Geelong Football Club.
Woolgrowers and taxpayers financed nearly $75,000 for a six-week study trip for Australian Wool Innovation (AWI) chief executive Stuart McCullough in the United States, it has been revealed.
There are still no answers as to how to rebuild trust in Australian Wool Innovation's board election process.
It is said that if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys, but how many peanuts are levy and tax payers contributing to the executive and board members of our research organisations?
More than $3.1 billion worth of Australian wool has been sold at auction this year, closing on a record breaking run of high prices.
Major Chinese wool processors are tipped to sidestep export buyers and enter the auction room in 2018, as demand is expected to outstrip growth in supply.
- The accident came on the final night of the Woodford Show.
- Golden Guitar winner Tom Curtain has shot to the top of the country music charts with his tribute to Dolly.
- Six weeks since returning from my Nuffield Global Focus program and I’m still being asked, “what did you learn?”
- You won't believe the quirky way these citrus growers converted their hay shed and silo.
- Fancy being the mayor of your own town for just $500,000?
- Dolly Everett's father said her life "will not be wasted" if it could stop the suffering of others.
- HGPs cause no harm to cattle and years of scientific research have shown that meat from them is completely safe for human consumption.
- The Forensic Crash Unit is investigating after a man was seriously injured in a traffic crash near Bajool.
- Landholders should be protecting billions of dollars of assets by locking in the vegetation on their properties.
- Telstra has released its first 4G Blue Tick smartphones aimed at people living and working in rural and regional areas.
Search over 20,000 rural real estate listings online including farms, rural property and acreage for sale.
Connecting Livestock Buyers & Sellers: Your one-stop shop for livestock news, reports and sale listings.