A SECOND man will stand trial over his alleged involvement in a violent home invasion and robbery in Tamworth last year.
The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) filed a fresh charge of assault with intent to rob in company against Tane Chatfield in Tamworth Local Court on Tuesday, after he allegedly attacked a man at a Petra Ave home in Tamworth in the early hours of July 21, 2015.
Chatfield, who is being held in custody at the Mid North Coast Correctional Centre and appeared via video link in court, will contest the charge, along with one count of robbery in company causing wounding or grievous bodily harm, and waived his right to a committal hearing.
Magistrate Roger Prowse committed Chatfield to stand trial in the district court and also dismissed a second robbery charge against Chatfield, after it was withdrawn by prosecutors.
Police allege Chatfield, along with co-accused Aaron Collins, was part of a group that surrounded the home and robbed a 46-year-old man of prescription drugs, as well as other prescription medication from the man’s 26-year-old son.
The older man was stabbed in the back during the attack, while the younger man was assaulted at the back of the house.
The court was told Chatfield’s solicitor, Garry Johnston, had subpoenaed material from police, but DPP solicitor Cameron Reynolds said there was “objection to some of the material” being produced and consequently it had been withheld by the Crown Solicitor’s Office.
“I understand there has been some material produced this morning,” he said.
“I am instructed there is no objection to any of the material Your Honour has in his hands.”
Chatfield remains bail refused.
The story Chatfield second to stand trial over home invasion first appeared on The Northern Daily Leader.