Darling Downs Hospital and Health Service Mobile Women’s Health Service registered nurse Kathryn Anning is encouraging all women to make their health a priority in 2016.
Ms Anning has been travelling the roads of Darling Downs, Southern Downs and the Brisbane Valley for 16 years, providing free, confidential health services to women.
Her services are not limited to, but include, cervical screening (pap smears), breast self awareness, menopause and hormone therapy information, family planning and contraception, sexual health screening and puberty information as well as information and support for domestic and sexual abuse and the promotion of healthy lifestyles.
“We are a completely funded service therefore there are no fees for women to access our services, including pap smears,” Ms Anning said.
Ms Anning conducts clinics at the Stanthorpe and Warwick Hospitals twice a month, and at nine small townships stretching from Toogoolawah in the North to Killarney in the South once a month.
“Although I have scheduled clinics, I travel with my phone and can make visits as needed or provide advice over the phone,” she said.
The Mobile Women’s Health Service is based on the belief that each woman is unique, has the right to be treated with respect and has the opportunity to be involved in decisions about her health care.
Ms Anning encourages all women to be proactive about their healthcare and to take advantage of the free service.
“It is recommended that all women who have ever had sex should start having pap smears between the ages of 18 and 20 years, or two years after first having sex, whichever is later,” she said.
If needed and appropriate, Ms Anning will recommend a client see their GP or specialist for further information or testing.
For more information about the service or to make a booking, contact Kathryn Anning on 4616 6809.
Upcoming Mobile Women’s Health Service clinics will be conducted at the following locations:
- Allora: Tuesday, February 23 from 9am to 3pm. Contact 4666 3171 for bookings.
- Stanthorpe Hospital: Thursday, January 28, Tuesday, February 9 and Thursday, February 18 from 9am to 3pm. Contact 4683 3460.
- Warwick Hospital: Wednesday, January 27, Wednesday, February 10 and Wednesday, February 24 between 9am and 3pm. Contact 4660 3841.
- Clifton: Tuesday, February 2 between 9am and 3pm. Contact 4697 3097.
- Oakey Hospital: Tuesday, February 16 between 9am and 3pm. Contact 4691 4888.
- Esk Hospital: Monday, February 8 between 10am and 3pm. Contact 5424 4600.
- Gatton: Wednesday, February 17 between 9am and 3pm. Contact 5468 4185.
- Killarney: Thursday, February 11 between 10am and 3pm. Contact 4664 1488.
- Crows Nest: Monday, February 15 between 9am and 3pm. Contact 4616 6809.
- Pittsworth: Thursday, February 4 between 9am and 3pm. Contact 4619 8422.
- Toogoolawah: Monday, February 29 between 10am and 3pm. Contact 5424 4600.